Morocco is not immune to the Covid19 pandemic.
In a courageous and responsible way, the country took the early decisions that the majority of countries have made:
- Border closure
- General containment
Thanks to these strong measures Morocco has contained the pandemic with about, 535000 cases and 9320 deaths, on July, 2021.
This is not the first time in history that Morocco has been struck by an epidemic.
Fez experienced plague epidemics throughout the 16th century killing more than 1,500 people per day, then Cholera wreaked havoc during the 18th century, before the return of a new strain of plague between 1798 and 1800 that claimed about 65,000 lives over two years in Fez alone.
So, despite this and against everything, Fes the Majestic still stands, today, as yesterday, fascinating, proud, and resilient.
“You have watches, we have time” – Touareg quote
At Mayfez we are more resilient than we know, and the power of positivity has allowed us to move mountains during these long months.
We have refurbished, repainted, imagined new offers and new tours, especially to the fascinating Atlas Mountains, that are usually neglected at the expense of the Old Medina.
We know that long term plans are difficult in the face of such uncertainty, which is why we have adapted our booking terms to be as flexible as possible to help keep your trip dream alive.
GETTING TO MOROCCO
Riad Mayfez follows the recommendations of WHO, of the Moroccan government and WTTC.
You can rest assured that the Moroccan Tourism Sector is taking every necessary precaution to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and give guests a warm but safe welcome.
To put your mind at ease we’d like to let you know what to expect every step of the way as you embark on your journey to Morocco. Please click here to view the official government protocol and do not hesitate to contact us. Please note that as of July 5, 2021, Russia, Egypt and Tunisia have been added to the B list.
- Negative PCR based COVID-19 test as well as a recent serological test (tests result must be dated no more than 72 hours). Passengers under the age of 11 are exempt from this requirement.
- Downloadable contact tracing form.
ARRIVAL IN MOROCCO
- Presentation of PCR and Serological tests dated no more than 72 hours
- Contact tracing form thoroughly completed
- For vaccination pass or vaccination certificate holders, the PCR is not required when entering Morocco.
- Vaccination pass or vaccination certificate holders are welcome to travel without restrictions and beyond curfew (between 23:00 and 4:30 in the morning) with a proof of vaccination.
DEPARTURE FROM MOROCCO
Passengers travelling out of the country are required to abide by the particular travel, health and COVID-19 related requirements of the destination country. Please familiarize yourself with your home country’s policies before your return. You may be required to isolate for a period of time and/or complete a COVID-19 test prior to departure from Morocco, or upon arrival.
DO ALL RIAD INFRASTRUCTURE OPERATE NORMALLY ?
Given the drastic decline in our occupancy rate and the safety measures imposed, we unfortunately have had to adapt our offer and services.
- On the one hand, for food safety reasons, we no longer serve “à la carte”, so as not to have to store food. We give maximum priority to fresh ingredients, therefore we require that you inform us, in advance, about your meal choice.
- On the other hand, we are very sorry, we had to stop heating the pool. However, the water temperature is very pleasant during the summer and pre-autumnal season.
- Finally, until further notice, for sanitary reasons, the Jacuzzi is no longer in use.
The remaining services are functioning normally.
For bookings of the whole Riad, for a minimum stay of 3 nights, the pool heating will be switched on, for the duration of your stay, and so the jacuzzi.
We hope to be back to normal as soon as possible
WHAT MEASURES ARE BEING TAKEN BY MAYFEZ TO PROTECT ME AGAINST COVID ?
- Due to its size and internal policy Riad Mayfez is an establishment where social distancing is done naturally :
- Riad Mayfez is a large property with only 5 suites. Long before Covid, many of our guests already thought they were alone, even though the riad was fully booked.
- Also, the Riad is completely closed to non-residents of the hotel.
- All rooms enjoy an independent path, so without contact with other guests.
- Our guests will therefore have no problem to take their meal isolated and will be welcome to enjoy the restaurant and the bar with far more than 1 meter social distancing.
- We have never had a buffet breakfast, for obvious sanitary reasons. In fact, we have never understood the craze for this kind of breakfast. So we will as always continue to serve breakfast at the table or in room.
- Guests will be in contact with little service staff during their stay as we are a team of 9 people only.
- Guest room will be cleaned by the same housekeeper throughout their stay.
Luggage are sanitized at arrival before and after handling.
- Room service in room or on the private terraces of the suites remain a possibility, today as yesterday, and for all meals.
- Hydro-alcoholic gel dispensers are available in all suites, reception, bar, restaurant and billiard room and Spa
- Sanitizing carpets are in use at reception and at the back-door of the riad.
WHAT HEALTH MEASURES DO YOU PLAN FOR YOUR STAFF ?
Our staff must now submit to even more drastic safety measures. They already had to shower before putting on their uniforms, they now, also, have to control their temperature twice a day, mornings and afternoons, for their safety and the safety of our guests.
Our staff is required to wash thouroughly their hands several times a day.
Wearing a mask is compulsory for all staff.
The same hygiene rules apply to our suppliers and any trade entering the establishment.
HOW IS THE CLEANING OF PUBLIC SPACES CARRIED OUT?
- We have always taken special care of the cleanliness and maintenance of our rooms and lounges and we have, now, also increased our hygiene procedure.
- For the maintenance of our rooms, we use effective and non-toxic products: white vinegar, black soap, baking soda. Now we have also added alcohol and Dettol to our cleaning material.
Public areas are cleaned twice a day and switches, door handles and elevator buttons are sanitized with alcohol 3 times a day.
- The toilets are also disinfected several times a day.
We remind you that Riad Mayfez is a small Riad that is not open to non-residents of the hotel and that, therefore, there is only a very limited human traffic in the property.
WHAT ABOUT THE ROOM CLEANING PROCEDURE ?
- Marble and wooden floorings are cleaned with hot water and black soap, a well-know natural sanitizer.
- Each room is cleaned with microfiber cloths (one colour for each surface type). They are changed for each room and washed in the washing at 60°C.
- Bed linen is washed and boiled at a professional laundry.
- Our housemaids wear masks, gloves and shoe protection during all cleaning actions. These accessories are changed for each room.
- Rooms will remain empty 48 hours between check out and check in.
Check our detailed protocol (lien vers le PDF du protocole sanitaire en anglais)
CAN I CHANGE MY BOOKING ?
Yes. Let us know if your plans change.
We remain committed to offering you flexible booking options. Given these unique circumstances, we are making additional adjustments to our individual booking policies to offer you convenience and peace of mind.
While travel restrictions remain in place, we will continue to waive change fees. If you need to adjust a reservation made through the website, please contact Mrs Dominique Laraqui – Owner of Riad Mayfez Suites & Spa.
CAN I CANCEL MY BOOKING ?
Yes, you can cancel your booking. For existing bookings affected by new restrictions (i.e. the restrictions were not in place when you made your booking) imposed by authorities, either in your country of origin, transit country or Morocco, we will waive any cancellation fees.
In case you would like to cancel or change a booking made with an intermediary such as a travel agency or an online booking site, please contact them directly.